Creating a Gift Card
This product option enables you to offer gift cards in Virtual, Physical, or Combination format. When a gift card is ordered, a unique code is generated that is emailed to a customer for virtual gift cards, or exported for printing to physical gift cards. This unique number can only be redeemed by one customer.
Before you start offering gift card products, you must create a Gift Card Code Pool. A Gift Card Code Pool is a set of unique codes in a specific format. Each time a gift card is purchased, one of the codes is permanently associated with that gift card account.
To generate a Gift Card Code Pool:
- In the Admin Panel, select Customers > Gift Card Accounts.
- At the top of the Manage Gift Card Accounts page, you should see a notice that indicates the status of your gift card code pool, such as “Code pool used: 100.00% (free 0 of 0 total). Generate new code pool here.” Click the here link to generate a new code pool.
Note: A new code pool will not be generated if there are still unused codes from the previous request.
To create a gift card:
- In the Admin Panel, select Catalog > Manage Products.
- Click Add Product on the top right to create a new product.
- Select Use Complex Product Types to load the Product Type drop-down menu.
- Select Gift Card from the list.
- Click Continue to open the New Product Editor page.
- Specify the general product configuration settings. These settings are the same as those for simple products (see Creating a Simple Product)
- Click the Price tab in the left panel.
- To add predefined set prices, click Add Amount and enter a price in the Amount field. Repeat this step to add more pricing options. Each amount will be available form a drop-down list in the front-end.
- In the Allow Open Amount, field, select No if you want customers to select only from your predefined set prices in the previous step. Select Yes if you want customers to add their own gift card amount. Setting this option to Yes will enable a field on the front-end for the customer to specify a price, as well as a drop-down menu of your set prices (if defined).
- If you set the Allow Open Amount to Yes, you can set minimum and/or maximum amounts in the Open Amount Min Value and Open Amount Max Value fields.
- Click Save to save your changes.
To define gift card information:
- Select the Gift Card Information tab in the left panel to display the Gift Card Information page.
- Select a Card Type from the drop-down list.
- Virtual: The gift card will be sent to recipient by email. The order will require an email address for the recipient. A shipping address will not be necessary.
- Physical: The gift card will be shipped to recipient’s address. The recipient’s shipping address will be required during purchase.
- Combined: The gift card will be shipped and emailed to recipient. Recipient’s email and shipping address will be required during purchase.
- In the Is Redeemable field, specify whether the account that will be created for this Gift Card product will be redeemable, that is, able to be transferred to the Store Credit upon creation.
- Set the expiration date for the gift card account created for this Gift Card product in the Lifetime (days) field. By default, each of these accounts will expire this number of days after the Gift Card is purchased. If you do not want to set a default lifetime, leave this field blank.
- In the Allow Gift Message field, specify whether the customer purchasing the Gift Card product can add a message that will be sent to the recipient of the card, either via an email and/or with the shipment of the physical Gift Card.
- In the Email Template field, select the template of the email that will be sent when the gift card account is created.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Related video tutorials:
Part 1: Generate a Code Pool
Part 2: Add a Gift Card Product